Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Installing Speaker Insulation

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Sounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2006
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Normally, I staple insulation to 5 of the 6 sides on speaker boxes. However, this time, I installed 4 plywood buttresses (corner braces) along each of the corners (total of 16/speaker). Since they project into the speaker about 5 inches, I cannot staple the insulation directly to the sides.

    Is it OK to allow the insulation (2 in thick polyester sheets) to hang in back of the speakers (kinda like a U shaped curtain) after tacking it to the tops? I suspect it is OK, but thought I would check it out.

    Thanks, everyone.

    John

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Your idea should work, and might even work better than the normal method. With room treatment, placing the panels away from the walls increases their effectiveness, especially at low frequencies. I have seen European home speaker cabinets that suspended the damping material behind the driver, and RCA theatre cabinets that suspended fiberglass sheets inside the box.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I've seen some older DIY systems where guys did that - a big U-shaped bat of fiberglas sort of surrounding the speaker (604's), but not wrapped around it.

    It could very well help with LF reflections inside the cabinet, due to the trapping effect of the space between the inside of the cabinet wall and the panel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.